Forums

Forum Home > The First Encounter > Did Leia know about Jabba's harem?

demogoron56
Site Owner

Before going to rescue Han did Leia kno about Jabba's penchant for enslaving beautiful girls that caught his fancy? Was she aware of what could happen to her if she was caught?

--

April 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scott slave embrace

demogoron56 at April 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Before going to rescue Han did Leia kno about Jabba's penchant for enslaving beautiful girls that caught his fancy? Was she aware of what could happen to her if she was caught?

I think she totally knew about Jabba's harem. Being a person of royalty and politics, it would be required for her to be aware of many different cultures and lifestyles around the galaxy. There's no doubt the thought of maybe becoming a slave would have crossed her mind when she was in the palace and when Jabba called for her, there's possible indications on her face that she was so hoping to go to the dungeon.

April 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oliver

I agree she knew and this is why I will never believe that Leia being enslaved is "part of the plan." Given the Hutt's reputation for how they treat their slaves, I can't buy that Leia would sign on for that willingly.  Does anyone really think our princess is going to step willingly into a plan that all but ensures she'll be degraded and raped?

I think her enslavement is the first sign whatever plan was worked out is going REALLY wrong and everything after that is Luke trying to make something work on the fly using the contingency that R2 had the saber hidden.

April 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

demogoron56
Site Owner

Hmm... Yea it seems rather unlikely that she wouldn't go into Jabba's palace without knowing all the risks, and being turned into a sex slave seems like a rather large one. Still seems hard to believe that Luke would have signed off on her risking herself knowing full well what Jabba did with his female slaves. Not exactly the most protective brother is he =P

--

April 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jabba_Mark

I would be very surprised to find out that Leia was completely ignorant of Jabba's reputation given her station and resources, but does that mean she could have fully anticipated the Hutt's subterfuge in capturing her and Han, or his apparent level of smittenness with her? I think not. There are some things that Imperial and/or Alliance dossiers could not possibly prepare her for.

As for Luke knowingly risking his sister's safety and/or virtue, you have to remember that plotholes notwithstanding, Luke and Leia were not yet aware of the true nature of their relationship or their connection through the Force, so the brotherly protection instinct did not come into play. Even if it had, I scarcely think he could have persuaded Leia not to take an active role in rescuing Han from the palace. Being a part of an organization like the Alliance, she knew the risks of what she was undertaking, just not the exact form the risk in this case would be. That being said, I am sure he felt every bit of her pain and humiliation when he arrived to find her enslaved and put on display such as she was. 

April 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

demogoron56
Site Owner

I understand Luke not knowing Leia was his sister yet, I was just making a joke =). I do agree that it would have been hard for him to stop her and perhaps Leia didn't kow the full extent of which Jabba used his slaves. Did Leia know Jabba's slave girl were in fact sex slaves? Did she understand that by entering the palace that it was a very real possiblity that she might be used like these other slaves?

--

April 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Occasional Visitor

I guess if she didn't know about Jabba's preference for humanoid girls, she found out in a hurry.
May 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.